Saturday 8 January 2011

Finally feeling human again

I had a bout of flu or something nasty, which kept coming and going like a boomerang. I am finally back to feeling human enough to use my fingertips! I have been musing about New Year. I prefer this time - about mid-January - to New Year itself. There seem to be so many assumptions and expectations for New Year, that one moment., and the moment never seems to be as interesting as it should be! As a child, I used to hide behind the sofa as mid-night approached, calling out to my parents, "See you next year hee-hee!" because I was convinced that something dramatic would happen as the clock struck twelve. I wasn't nervous, just anticipatory! I thought the world might blow up and I would find myself somewhere completely different!

Yes, I love that quiet time in January, when everyone and everything is supposed to be silenced and recovering from all the celebrations. I suddenly feel motivated to clear out my cupboards, and clear out my mind. Having got over the crazy rush or working and shopping before Christmas, you can finally find time to relax, and to think, to reflect deeply and to throw loads of things in the bin. I love it! It clears the way for me to decide what I am going to do this year. I have decided on two major things in 2011: I am going to Mexico finally. My brother has lived there for 25 years, and I am ashamed to say I have never visited him. At first, it was because the children were small and Mexico City was too polluted, then there was too much going on with their studies, my work etc and I didn't get round to it, but now the time has come! The other major thing is quite a different journey. I am going to do the Hoffman Process. You may have read about it in journal articles. It is a ten-day psychological course, which explores your past in depth and takes you to places you probably never wanted to go, but being the curious sort of person I am, I have to do it! Apart from this, I have the usual New Year's resolutions, like everyone else. Why do we suddenly feel so virtuous because it is January? I would love to know if you have plans for 2011 - do tell if you dare!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, not sure i feel quite human at moment!

    Wow, what destinations, both of them Sally - inward to your core, and out to Mexico!
    My only goal so far is to try learn how to be more indulgent of my own wants, so perhaps a similar 'inward journey' to understand that might help.
    For the 1st time though, i have almost NO plan, no real idea of what i SHOULD be doing this year. Its almost wide open, free choice!

    Its both exciting and scary, like teetering on a narrow summit, seeing everything around, fading into distant haziness.

    Sometimes the drop seems huge, to a tiny world down there, where it all looks flat and indistinct. i can touch the clouds here anyway, maybe fly ... for a little while at least!

    For now, i will swoop down for a day or 2 each week, do some basic graft, keep connected, and soar back to my ethereal perch to spot the next opportunity.

    Acting on it .. that is the challenge!

    Thanks for provoking some deep thought Sally :)

    ReplyDelete